Monday, November 22, 2010

Black Authors ♥ Readers

Next month marks the third annual celebration of National Buy a Book By a Black Author and Give it to Somebody Not Black Month. The purpose of NBABBABAAGITSNBM is to spread the word about all the great books by black authors that your friends, coworkers and neighbors may not know about. For the last 2 years, I've listed books that I planned to give for holiday presents. This year, I wanted to do something bigger and better.

I want to say thank you. Thank you to all the readers here who have given this blog experiment a chance. Thanks to all of you who've left comments and sent emails. Most important: thanks to all of you who've bought a book that you learned about here.

Other writers want to say thank you for your support, as well. So between now and December 20, we'll have guest bloggers talking about their favorite holiday gift books or some other related topic AND giving away an autographed copy of their book. Writers who've agreed to participate so far include:

Tara Betts
Martha Southgate
Bernice McFadden
Heidi Durrow
Lori Tharps
Keith Andrew Perry
Trisha R. Thomas
Ernessa T. Carter
Denene Millner

To kick us off, I'm giving away a copy of Children of the Waters to a commenter on this post. The person will be chosen at random. Deadline to comment is Tuesday, Nov. 23 at 5 pm MST.

Please spread the word to buy black books this holiday season! And, if you like quirky reads like I do, join the Quirky Brown Reading Challenge 2011.

8 comments:

Farrah Rochon said...

What a great lineup! I love NBABBSBAGITSNBM! Looking forward to the upcoming activities!

rhapsodyinbooks said...

I also love the idea of NBABBSBAGITSNBM!!! And you can even kind of say it if you don't go too fast!

suga said...

What a great idea. I'll definitely spread the word.

evelyn.n.alfred said...

NBABBSBAGITSNBM.

Just wanted to write that, even though I already have a signed copy of the book. I'll enter for Bernice's book when that comes around.

B LaShera Glaze said...

I like this idea. This is a great way that people can experience writing and the writers.

Carleen Brice said...

Farrah, It is a great lineup and there are more!

Barbara Albin said...

Hard to believe an entire year has passed. Only have read 3 books by White-American authors this year, and I have read or listened to dozens +++ of books. I am promoting your book all the time and books by many of the authors you have listed and many more authors. Reading has been wonderful this year. Thank you to all the authors I have read and looking forward to new books in the New Year.

Lisa said...

Has it really been three years!? Congratulations. I think you've really done something wonderful here.