Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Beach reads and FREE books!

Our last collaborative effort worked so well, let's do it again. Let's make a list of books great to read in a hammock, lying on a beach, on a towel at the pool (you know, as you're "changing the complexion" of the place) or on a blanket under a tree.

Some of mine:

Seen It All and Done the Rest by Pearl Cleage
Waiting in Vain by Colin Channer
Rhythms of Grace by Marilynn Griffith
My Soul to Keep by Tananarive Due
Kiss the Sky by Farai Chideya
Seduction by Geneva Holliday
That Devil's No Friend of Mine by J.D. Mason
Taking After Mudear by Tina McElroy Ansa
The Sunday List by Stacy Hawkins Adams
Sag Harbor by Colson Whitehead
Soul City by Toure
Kinky Gazpacho by Lori Tharps
Meeting of the Waters by Kim McLarin
The Interruption of Everything by Terry McMillan
Going Down South by Bonnie Glover
Third Girl From the Left by Martha Southgate
A New Kind of Bliss by Bettye Griffin
Sisters and Husbands by Connie Briscoe
This Side of the Sky by Elyse Singleton
Casanegra by Blair Underwood, Tananarive Due and Steven Barnes
Nappily Ever After by Trisha R. Thomas

Leave me a comment with one of your favorite beach reads and you'll be entered for a drawing of a signed copy of Children of the Waters or Orange Mint and Honey or unsigned copy of books that I like, but will part with to make room on my shelves and hopefully make some new readers very happy. Leave your email address and the book(s) you would prefer. On Monday, July 27 at 5 p.m. Mountain Time, I'll draw names at random and do my best to match you with your preferred book, but first pick goes in order of names picked. I'll announce winners on Tuesday, July 28. Spread the word!

Giveaways:

Children of the Waters
Orange Mint and Honey
Seen It All and Done the Rest
Rhythms of Grace
My Soul to Keep
Kinky Gazpacho
Worth a Thousand Words by Stacy Hawkins Adams
Unsigned Hype by Booker T. Mattison
Wicked Ways by Donna Hill
If These Walls Could Talk by Bettye Griffin
Better Than I Know Myself by Virginia DeBerry and Donna Grant
Fruit of the Lemon by Andrea Levy
Trading Dreams at Midnight by Diane McKinney-Whetstone
Gods and Soldiers: Penguin Anthology of Contemporary African Writing
R.L.'s Dream by Walter Mosely

10 comments:

Marlo Brooks said...

I hope you don't mind if I list more than one-
The Color Purple-Alice Walker
"Sula"-Toni Morrison
"A Piece of Cake"-Cupcake Brown
"The 3rd Life of Grange Copeland"-Alice Walker,
All books written by J California Cooper
"Mama"-Terry McMillan
"Drinking Coffee Elsewhere"-ZZ Packer
"Song of Solomon"-Toni Morrison
"The Known World"- Edward P. Jones
"Sugar"-Bernice McFadden
"Kindred"-Octavia Butler

Doret said...

Beach reads I go for funny or mystery

Sex Murder and a Double Latte by Kyra Davis
Dancing on the Edge of the Roof by
Sheila Williams
Wizard of the Crow by Nquqi wa Thiong'o
Bling by Erica Kennedy
Emperor of Ocean Park by Stephen L Carter.
Black Water Rising by Attica Locke
The Long Fall by Walter Mosley

Liz Dwyer said...

Beach reads... I'd definitely put anything by E. Lynn Harris in that category. The first time I read him, I was at the beach and a friend had brought a book of his along. I could NOT put it down!

Cane River by Lalita Tademy is also a good beach read.

Email address is los.angelista@gmail.com and I'll read whatever you send me if I win! :)

Stephanie Denise Brown said...

Lilith's Brood by Octavia Butler.

It's a perfect summer read given that it's a collection of the entire trilogy of Butler's Xenogenesis novels.

:)

Anonymous said...

My favorite beach reads are:
The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub
Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk
When Death Comes Stealing by Valerie Wilson Wesley
and Third Girl from the Left by Martha Southgate

if I win, I'd like: Children of the Water, Orange Mint, Getting Hers, or Better Than I Know Myself, please, thanks!

rozlyndmoore@yahoo.com

Mimi C said...

Every summer I read:
Mama Day by Gloria Naylor
Their Eyes Were Watching God - Zora!
Waiting in Vain by Colin Channer

Three very different love stories but I love them all.

If I win Orange Mint and Honey or Better Than I Know Myself please

Carleen Brice said...

Marlo, Don't mind at all! Thanks for the list.

Doret, I'm reading Black Water Rising now. I love the Kyra Davis title, so I need to check that one out. I liked Bling too!

Los Angelista, So sad that E. Lynn is gone!

Stephanie, There is something satisfying about having all the stories collected, isn't there?

Dsxyfemme, Good adds!

Mimi, Love the idea of re-reading the same book(s) every season!

Doret said...

I got my eye on Unsigned Hype . The Davis books are fun, anyone who likes the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich will like them.

MissA said...

I'm a teenager and I have a few fave beach reads. Hotlanta series, It Chicks series and Drama High series.
adult wise I likd Sula, Cane River, and the No.1 Ladies detective Agency series.
I would leave to read Children of the Waters or Kinky Gazpaucho. Thanks for doing this!
willbprez@aol.com

Carleen Brice said...

Contest is closed!